Sunday, July 3, 2011

My Girls

Dedication:
I ♥ My Girls! No matter how much time or space separates us, we can always be found within each others' hearts. Harriet, Andrea, Lenore, Fran, Marilyn and Marcia; and Barb, who couldn't be here, but was a big part of our reunion weekend in spirit. You are priceless treasures.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Blessings came at me from every angle over the weekend in the form of a gathering of the remarkable women who unwittingly shaped each others' lives as we were coming of age. My Girls.  A high school reunion brought us all back home.  An experience which is, for so many, a dreaded gathering of old friends and nemeses.  For some, a reunion is an opportunity for greedy revenge or gloating.  For others, attendance is almost mandatory; an occasion which they attend with curiosity and fascination. 


For My Girls, our reunion was a thing of beauty.  A magical reconnection.  The opportunity to tell stories, to grow, laugh, cry, laugh until we cried, remember, rediscover and reconnect. What we did best during our weekend together was love one another.  We experienced who each of us has become, and we embraced each other with honesty, respect and sheer joy. 

I am a late bloomer.  I suspect I am just beginning to discover who I am becoming, thanks to My Girls shining such a bright light on my new path. I am on a high, soaring higher than I ever have and it feels good.  Oh, so good.

We lost things: jackets, glasses cases, cell phones; but when all was said and done, all of the things were recovered and returned (or will be, eventually) to their rightful owners. We lost our minds over and over again, but that was nothing new among our crowd.  We found new connections with old friends whose lives had taken them in all directions, and we discovered that, together, we make a whole. 

I love My Girls as much as I love anything in this world.  What amazes me most (and always will) is that I am beginning to realize that I am a person who represents something special to them.  Me. Susie. The girl who always followed, even when she might have made it look like she was leading.  Susie is Somebody to these wonderful women she treasures beyond words.  How 'bout that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment